The NSW Government is committed to ensuring our veterans, past and present, are honoured with dignity and respect.
The Office for Veterans Affairs (OVA) manages state programs commemorating and assisting veterans in collaboration with all NSW government agencies, the Commonwealth and community stakeholders.
OVA's work is focussed on:
- the Anzac Memorial - NSW’s principal war memorial honouring the service and sacrifice of all defence personnel and their families.
- the State War Memorial Committee and Register to help protect war memorials across NSW.
- the Veterans Employment Program - an initiative to bridge the gap for veterans ending their military careers and commencing meaningful civilian employment.
- the Veterans Education Program to assist eligible veterans to follow new civilian career paths by funding student fees of Smart and Skilled courses through TAFE NSW.
- Community grant programs including the Community War Memorials Fund, the Anzac Community Grants Program and the Minister’s Miscellaneous Grants Fund.
- The Premier’s Anzac Memorial Scholarship which gives high school students the opportunity to travel on an international study tour to develop their knowledge and understanding of the history of Australians at war.
- Veteran events and commemorations to ensure community remembrance and commemorative activities are maintained.
The Commonwealth Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) delivers federal government programs for war veterans, members of the Australian Defence Force, the Australian Federal Police and their dependents under Commonwealth legislation including: Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986; Defence Service Homes Act 1918; Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004; Safety Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988; and the War Graves Act.